1. Do you agree that Thomas More’s Utopia does not fit well into the genre of recognised utopian writing?
2. Does science perfect or corrupt human nature? Discuss in relation to the treatment of this paradox in at least two utopian works or projects.
3. Is dreaming necessary? Discuss in relation to at least two imagined utopias.
4. Why is architecture so important to the achievement of Utopian ideas? Discuss in relation to at least two utopian projects or works.
5. Compare and contrast More and Morris’s treatment of History in Utopia and News from Nowhere.
6. Is the rediscovery of Plato a sufficient explanation of utopian writing in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries?
7. Compare and contrast More and Morris’s engagement with contemporary politics in Utopia and News from Nowhere.
8. How socialist is Morris’s utopia?
9. Why do so many utopias depend on the discovery or imagination of a new world?
10. Based on your study of past utopias, how would you predict the future of utopian writing.
Thursday, 14 January 2010